Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WATSAN Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Working Hours: 48 Hours per Week
Contract Duration 3 (three) Months Renewable
Report to: (Hierarchical) Deputy Logco
Report to: (functional): Logistics Coordinator
- Planning, coordinating, implementing and monitoring of all logistic activities in the interventions of the emergency team NIMERT in relation to Water, Hygiene and Sanitation, according to MSF protocols and standards in order to ensure an optimal running of the activities.
- Responsible for the WASH part of NIMERT assessments and project proposals.
- Ensures the Watsan contribution to the development and planning of emergency response strategies and resources (budget), in collaboration with the rest of NIMERT team
- Designs, implements and manages all Watsan interventions in the first steps of the projects (including, but not limited to: water supply, excreta disposal, waste management, hygiene, and infection control)
- Actively contributes to the integration of Watsan activities in the medical intervention. identifying possible “risk factors” (e.g. behavioral practices, environmental sources of infection, and transmission routes) and offers solutions for infection control.
- Ensures proper collection and monitoring of Watsan data. Ensures multidisciplinary data availability. Analyses data and reports regularly the results (as requested by line management)
- Supports the mission projects ensuring compliance with MSF standards and protocols:
- Visits to monitor watsan activities
- Conducs routine Watsan assessments in collaboration with project teams to identify Watsan needs at project level and makes recommendations for response activities to the line manager.
- Proposes work plans and programs (water supply, excreta disposal, waste management, hygiene, and infection control) and any other pertinent WASH related activity)
- Reports to the Field Coordinators and on the development of the ongoing programmes
- Ensures availability, proper purchases, and appropriate technical specifications of required materials and equipment through planning, organizing and overseeing the inventory of the Watsan stock(EPREP)
- In collaboration with the Field Coordinators, Logistics Coordinator and the HR Coordinator, participates in the planning and implementation of HR associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing / debriefing, evaluation, detection of potential areas of development and communication) of the staff under his / her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required to correctly perform all logistics activities pertaining to his area
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities:
- Revises and refreshes knowledge of the logistic staff on watsan topics in order to ensure proper monitoring and supervisions of the watsan related duties.
- Ensures that the essential requirements and protocols are in place and work on their implementation.
- Builds and strenghens the capacity of the logistic staff on watsan related activities.
- Provides full WATSAN support to projects whenever necessary.
- Networking with other WASH organisation in Borno State and other places where Nimert areas of Interventions. Ensure good knowledge of WASH stocks from other INGOs in Borno state.
- Design and installation of WASH equipments for improvements of water and sanitation in projects and Nimert areas of intervension.
- Make proposals of WASH improvements in MSF Spain projects,
- Participate in different WASH activities for MSF spain.
- Trainings and Follow up of WASH activities in projects.
- Academic background in Engineering or an equivalent relevant training
- Watsan in Emergencies Training within MSF is strongly recommended
- Previous experience in technical aspects of water and sanitation works.
- Minimum of 1-year of hands-on field emergency WHS professional experience in a humanitarian or international development setting
- Desirable: experience in or familiar with implementing and promoting the use of two or more of the following activities (water supply, excreta disposal, waste and waste water management, vector control, and dead bodies management during cholera outbreak) in two or more different contexts (conflicts, natural disasters, refugee / IDP camps, etc.)
- Desirable: public health experience
- English and Hausa essential
- Computer literacy
- Commitment to MSF Participles, Behavioural Flexibility, Stress management, Analytical thinking, Results and Quality Orientation, Service orientation, Planning and organizing, Teamwork and Cooperation, People Management and Development, Security awareness and Management
According to OCBA salary grid scale (National contract).
Application Closing Date
26th November, 2020 at 5:00 PM.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send a CV, Motivation Letter, copies of Credentials and NYSC (only PDF or Word) either by email to: email@example.com using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
- Applications are non-returnable. Do not submit original certificates or credentials.
- MSF Encourages Women and People with Disability Status to Apply.