Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, and wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislation. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organization towards our beneficiaries.
DRC has been operating in the West Africa region for over 15 years, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) Guinea, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Nigeria and a Regional Office (RO) in Abidjan. DRC has 17 offices and more than 500 staff members across the WA region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Officer
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
Contract type: National contract
The Water Sanitation and Hygiene Officer’s (Water and Sanitation) primary function is to ensure the quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of all technical aspects of WASH activities being implemented by DRC. This specifically includes the following:
- Carrying out the selection, design and construction of water systems, using ground water or surface water, including abstraction, storage, treatment and distribution for new systems or rehabilitation of existing systems.
- Select, design and implement the most appropriate form of sanitation system, in consultation with the beneficiaries, which includes excreta disposal, refuse disposal, vector control and drainage.
- Ensure efficient and effective WASH program implementation while following the budget and work plan.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports and proposals and budgets for donors.
- Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established/rehabilitated/protected water sources.
- Lead the WASH team in carrying out monitoring and evaluation exercises.
- Minimum of higher diploma in Civil or Water Engineering or Public Health. Other qualifications related to water and sanitation with at least 2 years progressive experience in WASH programming will be given consideration
- At least 2 years programming experience with I/NGOs
- Very good understanding of national WASH policies and strategies, program and stakeholders in Nigeria
- Thorough knowledge of SPHERE and WASH in emergencies standards.
- Experience working in volatile areas
- Experience in community based interventions
- Experience in Microsoft Office and internet
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, GPS, Arc GIS and Google Earth
- Knowledge of English (written and spoken)
- Project Planning and Management is an added advantage
- Experience working in emergency response with NGOs, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages (Hausa and Margi preferred)
- Availability: 1 December 2020
- Salary and conditions: In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment;
- The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
Application Closing Date
6th November, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- The position is for Nigerian Nationals only.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and Tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
- DRC Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator