First Bank of Nigeria Limited (FirstBank) is Nigeria’s largest financial services institution by total assets and gross earnings. With more than 10 million customer accounts, FirstBank has over 750 branches providing a comprehensive range of retail and corporate financial services. The Bank has international presence through its subsidiaries, FBN Bank (UK) Limited in London and Paris, FBNBank DRC, FBNBank Ghana, FBNBank Gambia, FBNBank Guinea, FBNBank Sierra-Leone and FBNBank Senegal, as well as its Representative Offices in Johannesburg, Beijing and Abu Dhabi.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Unit Head Corporate & Contracts
Job Schedule: Full time
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides, under the leadership of the General Counsel, pragmatic legal advice and solutions to the Bank and its subsidiaries on a broad range of legal issues.
- Provides under the leadership of the General Counsel, high level transactional, negotiation and documentation support to SBUs in their transactions
- Provides under the leadership of the General Counsel advice and assistance in the formulation of appropriate strategy to ensure optimal performance of the department as it relates to the responsibilities of the Unit.
- Provides guidance and leadership to the unit members in the provision of support to SRFs with respect to strategic ventures, alliances and partnerships as well as corporate disposals and acquisitions.
- Provides guidance and leadership to the unit members on legal support including opinions and recommendations on complex credit transactions to ensure that the bank and its subsidiaries (with the support of the relevant local counsel in the jurisdiction of the respective subsidiary) are properly and effectively protected from a legal standpoint in any transaction.
- Provides guidance and leadership to the Unit members on the provision of professional legal reviews of credit approvals (in approval process or concluded and conveyed), term sheets, offer letters and advice memos on the most optimal transaction structure that best protects the Bank’s interest whilst meeting its commercial objectives.
- Provides guidance and leadership to the Unit members in drafting and/or review of legal documents, rules and regulations, resolutions, contracts and various related matters; analysis on existing and proposed contracts; provision of legal opinions and recommendations to ensure that the bank and its subsidiary companies are properly and effectively protected from a legal standpoint.
- Coordinates the Unit’s day-to-day documentation preparation and review activities; ensures the assignment and distribution of mails and instructions and gives necessary guidance and directions to all staff of the Unit for efficient and productive output.
- Serves as an integral part of the Product development, review, approval and implementation team. To this end, works with relevant department and units in the actualization of the Bank’s product and service offerings, alliances, partnerships and other synergistic relationships with other entities.
- Provides first and second level reviews of drafts and legal opinions from Team Leads and Legal Officers in the Unit and provides necessary modifications and guidance.
- Provides leadership and guidance to unit members in their liaisons with relevant government agencies and agents, as well as external consultants including solicitors, trustees etc to ensure that bank’s objectives are achieved and interests protected.
- Provides leadership and guidance to unit members in their active supervision of external solicitors with respect to strategy, advice and documentation on both local and cross-border transactions.
- Advises strategy and roles for the management of the Unit’s Help Desk.
- Provides guidance and enhances the professional wellbeing and capacity of team members through targeted training recommendations, mentoring and coaching where applicable.
- Leads, nurtures, trains, develops and motivates the Unit members with robust job content and challenging assignments.
- Represents the Unit in departmental matters or delegates where necessary.
- Represents the General Counsel at meetings.
- Develops and coordinates the implementation of the mechanism for record keeping in the Unit.
- Responsible for the Unit’s aspect of the Department’s involvement in, and compliance with the Bank’s Information Security Management Policies, Business Continuity Management, BS25999, ISO 27001, and initiatives, internal audit outcomes and compliance with recommendations, ICAFAS, Business Performance Management, PSQA etc
- As part of the Bank’s Information Security requirements, maintains the security of all Information entrusted to the staff and comply with the principles and policies in the Information Security Handbook
- Supervises all the human resources in the Unit.
- Provides under the leadership of the General Counsel, guidance and leadership to the unit members’ in the provision of advice, opinions and transactional support to the Bank’s subsidiaries in all the matters listed above.
- Provides under the leadership of the General Counsel, guidance and leadership to the unit members’ in the provision of advice, opinions and transactional support to the Group companies as and when requested in all the matters listed above..
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned by the General Counsel.
Application Closing Date
29th January, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online