The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: UK-Nigeria Tech Hub Operations Manager
Ref Id: 20/20 LOS
Grade: B3 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 12 months
Start Date: 1 October 2020
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory: Economic and Prosperity
Main Purpose of Job
- This is an exciting opportunity to support the establishment and success of a new, innovative and high-profile Tech Hub in Nigeria that will aim to develop the Nigerian tech ecosystem, deliver digital skills programmes, and drive partnership and collaboration within the technology ecosystem.
- We are looking for an organised and enthusiastic individual to provide a broad range of administrative, project management and communications support across the team. The hub will be one of four critical pillars of a new Prosperity Fund programme to drive greater digital access in countries like Nigeria. New and innovative, the Prosperity Fund (PF) represents a step change in HMG’s approach to promoting economic development and prosperity overseas.
- The PF was established under the 2015 Strategic Defence and Security Review (SDSR) with the primary aim of supporting growth in recipient countries and thereby reducing poverty. As such, it represents a key component of the prosperity pillar of the UK Aid Strategy. But the Fund uniquely focuses on promoting growth in ODA-eligible middle income countries, which are home to around 60% of the world’s poor and where the development challenges remain significant, but at the same time are important business partners and drivers of prosperity. By delivering high impact, strategic multi-year programmes, across high opportunity countries, regions and sectors, the Fund will help create opportunities for international business, including UK companies. As the UK leaves the EU, an even more outward-looking global Britain investing and trading with the fastest growing markets will become increasingly important.
- The UK-Nigeria Tech Hub will be one of the first in a global network of international tech partnerships developed by the UK government’s Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) to build digital ecosystems that will facilitate sustainable economic growth and development. They follow the example of successful hubs elsewhere in the world, such as the UK-Israel Hub in Tel Aviv.
- The Hub will have three main aims:
- Deliver tailored interventions to cultivate digital skills responding to the needs and opportunities for inclusion in the local tech sector. This could include, for example, promoting opportunities for youth and women in the local tech sector;
- Support tech entrepreneurship through partnerships with local digital ecosystem stakeholders including incubators, accelerators and private sector firms, Kenyan government departments and agencies and non-profit organisations
- Facilitate partnerships between local tech firms (including tech start-ups) and international companies (across all sectors) in the form of commercial partnerships or joint ventures.
- The successful applicant will play a key role in establishing processes for the UK-Nigeria Tech Hub.
Roles and Responsibilities / What will the Jobholder be Expected to Achieve
- Supporting the delivery of hub programmes by providing administrative, coordination, communication and project management of hub programmes
- Developing relationships with local tech firms, start-ups and wider tech sector stakeholders, using these to support the delivery and development of new partnerships and programmes
- Managing the development of a suite of externally facing marketing and communications materials and platforms that supports the work of the UK- Nigeria Tech Hub. Lead on identifying comms opportunities for the Hub and working with the DCMS comms team and key FCO comms contacts to promote the Tech Hub network to local and international businesses and community
- Support the Hub’s work by planning and executing high profile events and programmes: assume a key role in planning projects and events such as business delegations, conferences and receptions. Work with external suppliers to negotiate venue hire, hotel bookings, tech support, produce materials etc.;
- Support on design and implementation the Hub’s policies by establishing and maintaining standards, systems and procedures;
- Lead work on to support the initiation, delivery, operations and logistical components for the Hub’s activities;
- Preparing briefing materials project plans, and travel arrangements, and securing engagement opportunities for the Hub team to promote its work effectively
- Process payments and manage Hub’s procurement process and budget.
- The post holder will be based in Lagos and will be part of a small team of locally-engaged staff, based within the British High Commission. The post holder will report to the UK-Nigeria Tech Hub Director. The Tech Hub Network is funded as part of a cross-government, Prosperity-funded programme, and so collaboration across departments will be a critical success factor in this role.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience of developing communications materials including social media management
- IT literate, and able to learn how to use new IT systems quickly;
- Strong administrative and/or project management experience;
- Well organised with good attention to detail;
- Able to work flexibly and pick up corporate processes quickly;
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Confident at decision making, within agreed boundaries;
- Interest in the innovation and technology sector
- Able to communicate effectively at all levels, both verbally and in writing, with internal and external stakeholders.
- Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace.
Starting Monthly Salary
N 539, 370
Other benefits and conditions of employment:
- We place a strong emphasis on learning and development. You will be encouraged to undertake developmental training and get involved in corporate activities.
- This role provides an excellent opportunity to build up programme knowledge and expertise and gain exposure to working across government.
- You will have access to existing and new Project & Programme Management L&D as well as wider job-relevant L&D and support for your own personal development.
Application Closing Date
13th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Lagos are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to:
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- The British High Commission does not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.