North East Regional Initiative (NERI) is an International Development Organization.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security & Conflict Analyst
- The Security & Conflict Analyst collects, analyzes, and reports on complex information related to the social, political and security context prevailing in program’s area of intervention.
- The Security Analyst will product weekly reports based on open source data collection as well as primary data collected with partners operating at the community, regional and national level.
- The Security & Conflict Analyst must demonstrate superior written and oral communication skills, be highly motivated and capable of rapidly producing relevant analyses.
Reporting & Supervision
- The Security & Conflict Analyst reports to the Deputy Chief of Party – Program and works in close collaboration with all members of the Senior Management Team, as well as Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager and the Security Officer. The position is based in Abuja. Some travels to North West and North Central Nigeria may be required.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Collect and analyze open-source data available in Nigeria media, security sources as well as program activities (activity notes, final evaluation reports, background sections of grant write-ups).
- Communicate daily with the program’s network of partners operating at the community, regional and national level to obtain primary data on security incidents, local context, and reactions by major stakeholders.
- Maintain a database of security incidents and other significant developments related to farmer – herder conflicts, banditry, violent extremist groups, religious freedom and persecution and other issues of interest.
- Produce weekly, as well as ad hoc reports detailing the social, political and security situation in the program’s area of intervention.
- Collaborate with the Nigeria Program Manager (NPM) on the drafting of weekly, semi-annual and ad-hoc reports as it relates to analytical, research pieces.
- Monitor the geographic footprint of the program’s activities to ensure that it stays relevant.
- Participate in weekly implementation meetings to determine priority tasks and provide support as necessary.
- Represent the program in meetings with USAID, Government of Nigeria and other stakeholders.
- In collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager, develop and supervise the implementation of innovative data collection techniques and tools, including working with external service providers to develop research and learning activities.
- At the request of USAID / OTI and the senior management team, conduct desk reviews or lead field research encompassing large, difficult and diverse problem sets.
- Contribute to cluster-level or program-level evaluations.
- Any other task at the request of the senior management team.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- University degree in Social Sciences, Economics, Journalism, or related field is required.
- Five years of general work experience and three years specific work experience required.
- Superior written and oral communication skills in English.
- Proficiency at using Microsoft office software: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. is required.
- Qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis skills and experience are required.
- Attention to detail and ability to follow up on tasks to completion is required.
- Ability to work autonomously and take initiative to generate valuable findings and communicate them in a timely manner.
- Ability to efficiently create and send reports during critical times or deadlines.
- Prior work experience with USAID or US Government-funded projects is desirable.
- Prior work experience with Nigeria security forces is desirable.
- Experience working in a conflict environment is a plus.
- Fluency in one or more of the languages spoken in North West and North Central Nigeria is preferable.
Application Closing Date
16th September, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit the following documents to: email@example.com
- A current Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing all their work experience and qualifications; AND
- A cover letter
Note: Please reference the job title and location on the subject line, your cover letter and resume / CV.