ACTED – Since 1993, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer-term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 38 countries towards 8.2 million people, responding to emergencies, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development with Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
In light of the displacement in the north-eastern part of Nigeria, ACTED has set up an office in Maiduguri to respond to the humanitarian needs. ACTED is therefore looking to fill the position below to support its mission in Mafa/Mobile LGA, Borno State:
Job Title: Protection Officer
About the Job
- Under the supervision of the CCCM Project Manager, the CCCM Protection Officer is responsible for the day-to-day activities of the protection component of the project, including conducting data collection, meetings and mobilizing key project stakeholders, developing protection-related materials for community training and facilitate training, among others.
- He/she will organize focus groups to support him/her in the accomplishment of her daily task and duties. He/she will be accountable for the smooth operation of the protection component of the project, meeting project timelines and targets, in addition to internal capacity building training.
- He/she will be responsible for ensuring protection mainstream standards among the camp services and to monitor the global protection risks to provide mitigation solutions.
- He/she will be in charge of referrals of beneficiaries to the appropriate protection partner(s), but not only, and ensure that this mechanism remains efficient and functional after ACTED CCCM responsibility.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Carry out daily monitoring visits, focus group discussions, participatory assessments, key informant interviews by ACTED’s information collection and management plans and standards, ensuring appropriate treatment of sensitive information;
- Ensure that mainstream protection is implemented by all agencies and in the whole camp.
- Assess protection issues captured or identified during daily activities and make appropriate referrals for services to humanitarian or other actors as per the referral pathway or best practices;
- Identify cases in need of urgent response and directly follow-up/accompany affected individuals to services providers when needed to ensure access to services;
- Work with supervisor to create weekly work-plans and prioritization of tasks;
- Ensure targets are met under the approved work plans
- Ensure proper documentation and secure storage of any protection data collected (hard and soft copies);
- Complete daily, weekly and monthly reporting on findings.
- Foster and maintain excellent working relationships with all stakeholders, and participate in daily coordination with humanitarian and all other local and international actors;
- Provide training and on-job coaching to CCCM team and other agencies personnel as required as well as provide awareness sessions and ad hoc training sessions for camp leaders and community.
- Work with community-based structures to identify protection problems that cannot be resolved at a community level or by existing services and assist the community to come to solutions
- Liaise closely with protection actors in the field and other humanitarian partners to ensure an understanding of the overall issues; an understanding that shall be used to guide weekly work plans
- Take a leading role in setting up the community centre- liaising with the community
- Conduct safety audit assessment, write safety audit report and translate findings into excel safety audit follow up a document.
- Ensure this safety audit excel document is updated at least once per month with the achievements and risks mitigated during that month, and adding any new risks that arise for action from partners/ACTED CCCM team
- Provide technical and programmatic support to the community mobilizers in the field on a day to day basis
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership to community-based mechanisms
- Support CCCM and partners workers in the identification and ensuring that reporting is in line with ACTED, Sector and partners harmonized guidelines.
- Identify needs in regards to capacity building and liaise with CCCM Team Leader, CCCM Manager and Protection Managers of other NGOs to address the needs
- Represent ACTED in any relevant field-based thematic meetings with stakeholders and otherwise as needed
- Coordinate and follow up with Protection service provision and service providers in the field
- Follow up all ACTED Procedures for Camps, Security, Finance, Logistics, HR and Administration.
- Uphold ACTED’s international code of conduct
- Any other tasks as may be assigned from time to time
- All employees should master ACTED’s core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability. Moreover, we also expect the following:
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- A University degree in Social Sciences, Development Studies, Guidance and Counselling or relevant fields.
- Minimum of two years’ experience working with vulnerable communities, basic needs and distribution programming experience, and/or advocacy programs.
- Experience in protection interventions in line with vulnerable or IDP operation.
- Experience of working with UN or Non Governmental organizations.
- Good communication skills and ability to conduct training and awareness.
- Computer skills (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Ability to communicate in English, write reports in English and consolidate the reports prepared by protection monitoring assistants into formal English documentation
- Ability to communicate in Hausa. Other Nigerian languages is a must.
- Good organizational and management skills.
- Willingness and ability to work full-time time in the field directly with communities (camp setting and communities in MMC area).
Desired knowledge and skills:
- Extensive knowledge of Nigerian displacement context.
- Highly flexible, with the ability to use initiative.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values.
- Commitment to promoting gender equality.
- Experience conducting focus group discussions, or the ability to learn rapidly
- Strong ability to work independently, organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity, and flexibility.
- Personal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Experience in working in the protection sector.
- Experience delivering training and curriculums.
- Experience working with big teams
- Contract length: 6 Months
- Level: D2-1 (national contract)
- Start date: As soon as possible
Application Closing Date
14th October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to The Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- ACTED considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform the shortlisted candidate. We apologise for the inconvenience. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for a written test and oral interview.
For general information about ACTED, please consult: www.acted.org