The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Officer, Aquaculture Development
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Institution: Ecowas Commission
Grade: P3 / P4
Department: Agriculture, Environment And Natural Resources
Directorate: Agriculture And Rural Development
Division: Animal Resources Development
Line Supervisor: Principal Proramme Officer Animal Resources Development
- Under the supervision of the Principal Programme Officer, Animal Resources Development the incumbent shall monitor and coordinate ECOWAS actions related to the development of sustainable, efficient and well-governed aquaculture practices that increase production of fish and aquaculture products while minimizing the use of scarce resources and creating an equitable sharing of risks and benefits between all stakeholders in the sector
- The Program Officer must put in place strategies and work programs aimed at maximizing the positive effects of aquaculture on the economic, social and environmental priorities of ECOWAS member States, including food and nutritional security, and which are in line with ECOWAP objectives.
Role and Responsibilities
- Ensure the development and monitoring in the implementation of policies, strategies and regulations of ECOWAS and member States in the field of aquaculture development,
- Create the conditions favorable to the generation of knowledge and coordinate their sharing, innovations and best practices, and the transfer of skills between the actors in aquaculture production,
- Formulate and propose regional projects and actions of investment for young people and women in aquaculture sectors and allow to mobilize international support funds,
- Contribute to the development of a work program for the production of aquatic animals, as well as to major new areas of work related to the increasing role of aquaculture in the rural development,
- Liaises with partners to increase producers’ access to the appropriate services and promote the development of sustainable aquaculture value chains which reduce risks and also guarantee economic and social benefits for actors in the value chain,
- Contribute to the organization of meetings, consultations and workshops on aspects and activities aimed at the sustainable development of aquaculture,
- Support the establishment of Public-Private Partnerships (PPP) for the promotion of aquaculture industries in the region and for the benefit of stakeholders for the development and production of sustainable aquaculture in the West African context.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Aquaculture, Aquatic Sciences, Fisheries, Agriculture, Biology and Animal Nutrition, or in a related discipline or in a closely related field of a recognized University.
- Five (5) years of relevant experience in aquaculture development and transformation, including experience in the formulation and/or implementation of aquaculture operations in ECOWAS countries,
- Extent and relevance of experience in providing scientific and technical support and advice to research and/or development projects in sustainable aquaculture,
- Extent and relevance of experience in planning and implementing research and/or development programs on aquatic animals and their production and interaction with other agricultural sectors,
- Demonstrated results-based management skills and ability to effectively support programs, budgets and human resources in the context of changing priorities,
- Extent and relevance of experience in organizing meetings, seminars and interactive training courses,
- Ability to mobilize resources for sustainable aquaculture development.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies:
- Ability to persuade / influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- Ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
- Ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information and resources;
- Ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and the subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance.
- Contribute to maintaining organizational unit’s performance goals and standards.
- Interpersonal skills with ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- Ability to proactively interact with clients and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect and regular discussions;
- Ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigates issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- Ability to counsel, advise, consult and guide others on matters pertaining to assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards;
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- Ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
- Aility to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an unbiased and transparent manner.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS internal operational requirements of programs, projects, services and systems required to achieve work assignments and meet performance goals;
- Knowledge of rules and procedures of ECOWAS associated assigned responsibilities and ability to explain these clearly to others;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS culture, structures and performance issues and priorities impacting assigned responsibilities;
- Knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
- Ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance and performance targets;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals;
- Ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees.
- Demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- Ability to make sound use of graphics and tables to effectively present numerical data to write semi-complex technical reports/proposals and edit/check templates, letters, etc.
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means, ;
- Exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- Identify, organize and monitor tasks throughout to facilitate execution;
- Ability to contribute and/or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks;
- Ability to identify, collect and assess indicators to monitor performance and to take proactive remedial action as required.
- UA49,106.81, USD77480.72 / UA56,591.37, USD89,289.87.
Application Closing Date
10th November, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly; attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Click here to download Application Form (Ms Word)