The Ogun State Government is requesting assistance from the World Bank to fund the Ogun State Economic Transformation Program (OGSTEP) through an Investment Project Financing instrument, The funds will support the Ogun State Development Plan (SDP) (2018-2030) with a focus on business environment, skills development and public sector governance.
The ministry of budget and planning has the responsibility for project implementation and ensuring that the project development objectives are met and coordinated by the Project Implementation Unit (PIU).
Below is a critical role / activities that are needed to be filled or carried out for the preparation and implementation of the program:
Job Title: Rural Infrastructure Engineer – OGSTEP
Location: Abeokuta, Ogun
Project Title: Ogun State Economic Transformation Project (OGSTEP) – Agric Sector Project Development Support.
Reports to: Project Manager – OGSTEP Agric & Sector Lead
Duration of employment: 2 Years (Renewable upon satisfactory performance)
Project Development Objective
- The Project Development Objective is to increase agricultural production and stimulate private sector participation in the agricultural, industrial and skills sectors of the Ogun State economy.
The project consists of two main components. The project components include:
Component 1: Increasing Agricultural Production and Industrialization:
- Sub-Component 1.1: increasing Agricultural Production
- Sub-Component 1.2: Improving Business Environment.
- Sub-Component 1.3 Developing Skills.
Component 2: Technical Assistance to Strengthen Capacity to Implement the Program:
- Component 2.1 Agriculture
- Component 2.2 Business Environment
- Component 2.3 Skills
- Component 2.4 Public Sector Reform and PFM
- Component 2.5 Project Implementation support.
- The Ogun State Government through the Federal Government of Nigeria has received a credit from the International Development Association (hereinafter referred to as IDA) Bank towards the financing of the OGUN STATE ECONOMIC TRANSFORMATION PROJECT (OGSTEP). The Project Coordinating Office of OGSTEP intends to apply part of the proceeds of this credit to payments under contracts for the Consultancy Services: –
- The OGSTEP is in line with the Ogun State Development Plan 2017-2030 (SDP) reform agenda to accelerate strategic reforms and foster public investment to enable greater private sector participation in the State’s economy which is organized around five cardinal programs covering agriculture production and industrialization, infrastructure and rural development, education, health, and affordable housing and urban renewal.
- The OGSTEP Agriculture component seeks to help address key constraints to increased private sector investment in agriculture. The Agriculture component will support three types of activities: First, support the development and implementation of the international best practice Framework for Responsible and Inclusive Land-Intensive Agricultural Investments (FRILIA) in Ogun State ; Second, foster the engagement of Value Chain Development Firms (VCDF), and finally, develop critical infrastructure to strengthen market linkages to production areas where value chain development alliances are being promoted.
- The project will promote farming operations in the following priority value chains: 1. Food Crops, 2. Horticulture, 3. Livestock and 4. Fiber.
- Based on the afore-mentioned, it is therefore important that as part of efforts towards project implementation, (including front end activities, pre-implementation activities etc.) a Rural Infrastructure Engineer is required to support the activities of the Project Manager and sector lead.
- The Rural Infrastructure Engineer will be responsible for the day-to-day management of tasks executed by OGSTEP Agric in relation to project preparation and project implementation geared towards the farmers and firms, while working closely with the Project Manager.
Scope of Work
The project will seek to enhance the sustainability and competitiveness of rural community-based agriculture enterprises by way of informing the business development strategy with respect to current market needs and trends both locally and internationally as well as ensuring alignment with broader development goals.
The Rural Infrastructure Engineer work assists Ogun State to meet Disbursement-Linked Indicators (DLIs) for the World Bank assisted, “Ogun State Economic Transformation Project (OGSTEP),” scheduled to start March 2020.The Rural Infrastructure Engineer will therefore be required to support the OGSTEP Agric Sector Technical Team and the Agriculture portfolio in terms of the evolving trends and demands for products as well as to provide assistance in the areas of enterprise development and competitiveness. The Rural Infrastructure Engineer will therefore be required to Support the Project Manager and:
- Provide Implementation support, formulation and evaluation of investment operations (projects and programmes) in food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing as well as strategic and policy work with a focus on water resources management, irrigation, drainage and rural infrastructure.
- Assist in designing small-scale irrigation systems for beneficiary farmers
- Provide technical advice on engineering design and in preparation of bill of quantities (BOQ), tendering process, and supervision of infrastructure works.
- Ensure engineers designs incorporate safeguards requirements as outlined in the Environmental Management Plans (EMPs) and other safeguards instruments
- Formulate and delivers capacity development activities.
- Provide technical expertise, studies and strategies in the formulation of sector, investment plans and programmes.
- Carry out field visits and provide backstopping to the contractors to ensure works are carried out in accordance to the designs
- Support the development of inclusive and sustainable food systems.
- Provide support in task organization, selection of consultants, preparation of terms of reference and in ensuring the quality of output.
- Prepare semi-annual reports on physical progress and results as inputs to the project progress reports
- Carry out activities and tasks as directed by the Project manager and sector lead.
Recruitment Qualifications / Competencies
- Holds at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Agricultural Engineering, Civil Engineering and Rural Infrastructure Engineering, Hydrology, Water Resources Management or related field.
- At least 8 years relevant experience in programme/ project design and management, broad knowledge of all rural infrastructure and water agriculture sub-sector.
- Demonstrate experience in implementation of agricultural policies, agricultural sector plans, and frameworks;
- Experience in research and statistical analysis;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and experience in working with a wide range of individuals in government, private sector and civil society;
- Commitment to quality and control of data and resultant information;
- Experience in data collection;
- Experience in working in teams;
- Experience in similar project and programmes
- Proficiency in the use of Computers and relevant packages.
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English.
Report and Schedule of Deliveries:
- The Rural Infrastructure Engineer will be required to provide reports, documents and deliverables as required by the project and as directed by the Project Manager regarding his/her activities.
Services to be provided by the Client:
- The OGSTEP Sector Technical Team working closely with the PIU and Ministry of Agriculture is responsible for the provision of an office for the implementation of the duties.
Institutional and Organization Arrangements:
- The Rural Infrastructure Engineer will work directly with the Agric Sector, Project Manager and the Honorable Commissioner for Agriculture.
Payment and Fee for Service:
- Payments shall include the agreed consultancy fees and reimbursable expenses associated with the performance of the consultancy activities. The payment of the consultant will be based on sign off of deliverables by the Project Manager and sector lead.
Application Closing Date
16th September, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications clearly labelled “Consultancy for Ogun State Economic Transformation Project (OGSTEP) – Agric Sector – Rural Infrastructure Engineer” to: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should include:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Profile of previous work done related to this project.
- Contact details (Office address, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses).
Note: Application materials are non-returnable, and we thank you in advance for understanding that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the next step in the application process.