The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring & Evaluation / Health Systems Strengthening (M&E / HSS) Officer
Job ID: 13-11089
Locations: Zamfara, Plateau, Benue and Nasarawa
Slot: 4 Openings
- PMI-S is a five-year PMI/USAID flagship malaria project implemented through a consortium led by MSH. The project is supporting the Government of Nigeria through its agencies at the federal, state, LGA and community levels to reduce under-five and maternal mortality by delivering quality services for management of malaria, its complications, and prevention. PMI-S project focuses on strengthening the capacity of the National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP) and State Malaria Elimination Programs (SMEPs) for the implementation of the National Malaria Strategic Plan 2014-2020.
- The M&E/HSS Officer will be supervised by and report to the State Coordinator. S/he will provide technical leadership of PMI-S HSS interventions, including the roll-out and integration of PMI-S M&E plans in the states with other HSS activities as well as generating strategic data for program management, reporting, and documentation of best practices. The position will use analyzed and triangulated HMIS, LMIS, and surveillance data at strategic policy and management discussions to influence state HSS.
- S/he will build the capacity of SMEP and LGA malaria focal persons in use of evidence to influence HRH, health financing, and service delivery system decisions. S/he will provide timely analyzed data to inform AOP processes. The position will build capacity of SMEP and LGA malaria focal persons in monitoring AOP implementation and budget performance to inform mTWG decisions.
- Provide technical guidance in the planning and implementation of all state and LGA level M&E / HSS activities.
- Develop and implement an M&E / HSS plan for the program in the state, in collaboration with the State Coordinator
- Take lead in the implementation of PMI-S state level Task Order M&E plans and state work plan and reporting on USAID indicators and targets in collaboration with the State Coordinator.
- Establish system for flow of information from service-delivery points to the PMI-S central database and ensure timely M&E / HSS technical support to all implementing health facilities.
- Build capacity of SMEP and LGA M&E officers in monitoring and evaluation, data management and data use.
- Support the SMEP team to analyze and use data to inform decisions and guide malaria interventions.
- Participate in data quality review meetings at the state and LGA levels
- Work with SMEP and LGAs to train health workers in the use of HMIS tools.
- Support monitoring of quality of service at health facilities.
- Take lead in implementation of selected health systems interventions including for example evidence-based state malaria annual planning to fit into state planning and budgeting cycle.
- Support state malaria partners to build an evidence base to monitor state malaria program performance towards elimination goals.
- Provide HRH analytics to inform state HRH deployment and management practices.
- Engage with the State DHPRS, SPHCDA, State Health Insurance Scheme to mainstream state malaria budgets in state government budget.
- Provide TA in analysis and management of a state Malaria Data Repository drawing from the federal MDR instance; and promote dissemination of information to policy and decision makers through bulletins and policy briefs.
Qualifications and Experience
- Postgraduate degree in Social Sciences, Statistics, Epidemiology or related field with focus on generating and triangulating data to inform State health systems strengthening.
- At least 5 years of experience strengthening selected health systems at state or federal level in Nigeria.
- Strong analytical, advocacy and program planning skills required.
- Minimum of 3 years’ hands-on monitoring & evaluation experience, with good understanding of health system strengthening.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in developing monitoring plans and/or management information systems 3 years of which spent working with NGOs in an African setting.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in malaria programs in Nigeria.
- Familiarity with USAID reporting systems highly desirable, particularly for malaria control.
- Excellent data analysis, presentation and reporting skills.
- Strong computer skills particularly in spreadsheets, database and statistical applications, including DHIS2 for data management.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to foresee problems and initiate appropriate action.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and fluency in English.
- Strong report writing skills.
- Demonstrated experience in planning and facilitation of training activities.
- Excellent organizational, inter-personal, multi-cultural and team building skills.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online