The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Investigative Assistant – U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs)
Announcement Number: Lagos-2020-041RA
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Series/Grade: FP – 0705 7
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hour per week
Promotion Potential: FP-7
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency: For USEFM – FP is 07. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C. U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) – All Agencies
- Security Clearance Required: Top Secret
- Appointment Type: Temporary
- Appointment Type Details: Definite not to Exceed (5 years)
- Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required to support investigative and capacity building initiatives
- The Investigative Assistant (IA) assists in an array of sensitive and complex criminal investigations related to document fraud, human smuggling, trafficking in persons and other criminal issues as directed by the Assistant Regional Security Office-Investigator (ARSO-I).
- The job holder provides investigative, analytical, and administrative support in the operation of Diplomatic Security (DS), Overseas Criminal Investigation (OCI) Program at Post.
- The job holder updates the ongoing investigations database in the Department of State (DOS) computer systems, and controls access of sensitive information. The IA must be able to obtain a Top Secret (TS) security clearance.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Experience: Minimum of three (3) years of administrative, investigative analysis, legal, or law enforcement-related experience is required.
- Education Requirements: Two years of general college or university study is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- English Fluent Reading/Writing/Speaking is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
USD $37,680 (Per Annum)
Application Closing Date
15th October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Secondary School Certificate
For EFMs, in addition to the above;
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria.