The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Information Assistant
Ref: STS2021 – 001
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (Short-term Contract)
Duration: 2 years
- Under the supervision of the Head of Security, the Security Information Assistant (SIA) is responsible for the management of information relevant to security, including collection, collation, analysis and dissemination to be used as a decisionmaking and planning tool by the Head of Security in tropical Africa to enhance the safety and security of IITA personnel, assets and operations in the countries.
- Maintain security information awareness of all aspects which could potentially affect the safety and security of the IITA including up-to-date knowledge of events relating to the security environment through monitoring of security incidents, daily situation reports, local media and other open sources.
- Responsible for the identification and coordination of security information requirements, development of trend analysis, gathering comprehensive information on all factors on security and safety as well as determining the relevance and validity of security information and the reliability of information resources.
- Responsible for disseminating security information in a timely manner to the Headquarters, Hubs, and stations.
Qualification and Experience
- BSc / HND in Political or Social Science, Military Science, Criminology, International Relations or related field with a minimum of four (4) years’ experience performing similar or related role in a well-structured organization
The ideal candidate must have:
- Knowledge and understanding of methodologies for information collection, collation, analysis, and presentation.
- Knowledge and understanding of Country Security Plans, Contingency / Emergency planning, Evacuation / Relocation, Business Continuity Plan, Crisis Management Plan and Security Risk Assessment methodology
- Knowledge and understanding of physical security design, survey, and upgrade
- Knowledge and understanding of technical security systems like CCTV, alarm, and other intrusion detection system
- Have ability to communicate complex issues to clients and supervisors, clearly present research findings and formulate security advisories and alerts.
- Have ability to use presentation tools like PowerPoint maps and charts so as to regularly update the Security Unit Intranet webpage and to deploy mass security / safety notification systems
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Listens to others and correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately.
- Asks questions to clarify, exhibits interest in having two-way communication and tailor’s language, tone, style, and format to match the audience.
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies.
- Identifies priority activities and assignments and adjusts priorities as required.
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Uses time efficiently.
- Integrity, professionalism, respect for gender, Diversity, and Inclusion (GDI).
- Good communication skills (written and oral), working knowledge of French is an added advantage.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
20th January, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter which should address how their background / experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, Curriculum Vitae, Names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor / Superior at his / her present or former place of work). The application should be addressed to the Head, Human Resources Service.
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.