The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Field Worker II
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
- Carry out sorting and prepare planting materials for yam field trials and seed multiplication plots;
- Support the establishment of trials, seedling nursery and seed multiplication plots;
- Carry out establishment of seedling nurseries in the screen house and field;
- Assist in managing and maintaining established yam field trials under optimum agronomic conditions and support harvesting, data collection from yam trials, seedlings from the field and screen house;
- Carryout pollination and data capturing from yam hybridization block;
- Support the post-harvest processing and data capturing from harvested tubers from yam trials;
- Carryout maintenance of harvested yam tubers under optimum storage condition in the barn;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- O’level with minimum of three (3) years’ related experience performing a related role.
The ideal candidate must have:
- Experience in yam pollination and be patient, passionate about yam and willing to work extra hours.
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
20th October, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.