The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Phlebotomist
Ref: STS2020 – 002
Locations: 6 Geo-Political Zones, Nigeria
Duration: December 2020 – June 2021
Recruitment Type: National (Short-term Contract)
- Collect biological samples from respondents inappropriate sample collection tubes.
- Identify and confirm respondents properly using the unique ID.
- Label collected samples with unique ID and date.
- Use the best method for drawing blood depending on the respondent.
- Be friendly, courteous and sympathetic when it comes to working with respondents.
- Always keep the workstation well-organized.
- Adhere to all relevant health and safety standards while working.
- Adhere to all cold chain related standards.
- Provide daily progress update to the field supervisor.
- Ensure that all collected samples are delivered in good condition to the laboratory technicians daily.
- Bachelor’s in Medicine (Health Science), Laboratory Science / Technology, Human Nutrition, or Nursing.
- An employee of state or federal government with the above qualifications can also apply.
- Proven experience as a Phlebotomist or Phlebotomy Technician.
- Experience with surveys and data collection that include blood collection (e.g.: HIV survey, etc.) is also an added advantage.
The ideal candidate must:
- Be experienced in pediatric phlebotomy.
- Be a trained Phlebotomist / Nurse with experience in collecting and labelling blood samples.
- Fluency in English and at least one local language spoken in the assigned zone are required.
- Have excellent communication skills.
Application Closing Date
17th November, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.