The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Field Supervisor
Ref: STS2020 – 002
Locations: 6 Geo-Political Zones, Nigeria
Recruitment Type: National (Short-term Contract)
Duration: December 2020 – June 2021
- Ensure adherence to quality control procedures on day to day survey results.
- Check on completeness, logic, and skip pattern on questionnaires.
- Check on safe and adequate collection of biological samples, cold chain, and sample processing daily.
- Make sure equipment and labels are appropriately used.
- Work with local guides to identify respondents.
- Prepare for fieldwork as well as provide the teams with all required survey materials.
- Coordinate day to day activities and oversee the work performance of the team members.
- Address all interviewers’ concerns as they arise.
- Conduct step down trainings where necessary.
- S/he must be able to address medical emergencies, and risk associated with blood collection.
- Control data quality by checking for errors during interviewing and measurements daily and after the interview every week.
- Monitor the use of field equipment, ensuring that they are kept in good working order and that problems are reported promptly and provide replacement materials.
- Monitor team progress and support in addressing/escalating challenges as necessary.
- Investigate high levels of non-responsiveness among interview teams.
- Keep the interview teams on schedule.
- Report to the zonal coordinator within his/her assigned geopolitical zone.
- Master’s in Health Sciences, Medicine, Medical Laboratory Science / Technology, Human Nutrition, or Nursing. An employee of state or federal government with above qualifications can also apply. Previous survey experience (e.g.: NDHS, MICS, SMART, NAIIS, etc.) as team lead is preferred.
The ideal candidate must:
- Be proficient in using tablet-based data collection
- Be familiar with working in rural Nigeria
- Be fluent in English and at least one local language spoken in the assigned zone are required.
- Excellent communication skill is essential to team members, other team leads, and zone survey coordinators.
Application Closing Date
17th November, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor or professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.