Michael Stevens Consulting – Our client, a leading Professional Institute based in Lagos State is recuriting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head, Research and Professional Standards
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Research and Development:
- Direct and oversee extensive research on issues pertaining to taxation, finance and the economy.
- Direct and facilitate regular publication of technical materials for dissemination, both nationally and internationally
- Determine the technical needs of the institute and supervise the regular review of technical materials in order to make them available to members
- Provide members of council and management staff with continuous research and technical input in their various specialization areas
- Develop programs and procedures for effective collaboration with the relevant faculties
- Develop technical papers, suggestions and contributions on behalf of the Institute into draft legislations, National and State budgets with particular reference to tax policies and other matters of interest to tax practice.
- Monitoring and prompt response to all tax issues raised by government and non-governmental bodies
- Supervise the review of all technical contents of FIRS and SIRS releases and make recommendations to council, where necessary.
- Supervise the technical content design and development of the Institute’s activities
- Ensure prompt response to research and technical requests from the regional body of insitute
- Oversee the smooth running of the physical library including its set up, security of books, journals and materials
- Lead the research and development for the establishment and sustenance of the institute’s e-library project.
- Oversee all matters related to standards of professional practice. These extend across entry requirements, ethics, code of conduct and technical standards for members of the Institute.
- Work with relevant committees to develop and implement policies that will ensure both new and existing professionals attain and maintain highest professional standards & behaviours.
- Design programs and guidelines to minimise reputational risk to the institute and maintaining the public confidence in members and students. Recognising where the Laws of the Institute require review to mitigate risk and taking steps to update them.
- Provide the team in the development and updating of products and information (web based and other) for use by internal and external stakeholders, specific to key initiatives and areas of the institute’s activities.
- Ensure the relevance of standards for entry to the institute at different membership grades; and the accreditation of courses and other programs.
- Oversee the development and successful delivery of a programme of standards for members practice, including specific technical and professional guidance/requirements, through overseeing the support given to the Institute’s relevant Committees and departments.
- Provide leadership and coaching for team members.
- Perform any other duty as assigned by management.
Qualification / Education:
- Minimum of first degree in Accounting, Economics or with a professional certificate.
- Minimum of 10 years’ cognate experience with atleast 5 years in a management or supervisory position.
- Previous experience and good industry knowledge in professional institute, education or financial sector
- Experience as an administrator in a professional education, examination or student environment.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Knowledge of current developments in Tax and fiscal policy
- Background in research and development in a professional establishment
- Advanced computer skills on MS Office, relevant software and databases
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to direct and supervise
- Must be analytical in carrying out jobs and critical in thinking
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Effective planning and organization skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Understanding of the workings and policies of the institute
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong coaching, conflict resolution, relationship and team building skills
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles
- Business focus – Basic understanding of business structures and systems
- Performance Management
- Understanding of Tax laws and regulation.
Tools and Technology:
- Microsoft Office suite
- Electronic mail software Microsoft Outlook
- Internet and search engines
- Research tools.
Application Closing Date
15th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: email@example.com using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.