The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Dispatch Rider
Job ID: 09/21 ABJ
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Job Category: Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Corporate Services Support
Type of Position: Permanent
Start Date: 1st July, 2021.
Main Purpose of the Job
- To provide mail delivery services in a safe, efficient and courteous manner observing all road traffic rules, while maintaining a good tracking system for all handled mails. Perform administrative duties as may be required to support the effective running of the Abuja transport operations
Roles and Responsibilities
Transport Services – 90%:
- Responsible for receiving and delivery of mails from/to various Diplomatic missions, government offices and private establishments
- Collection of High Commission’s bills of various organisations.
- Collection and delivery of daily newspapers to the High Commission.
- Liaise with Nigerian Postal services for the High Commission
- Keep records of incoming and outgoing mails.
- Serve as messenger.
Motorbike Maintenance and Administrative Support – 10% :
- Keep accurate records of motor bike mileage, fuel consumption and maintenance work / costs
- Perform daily inspections to ensure that all official motor bikes are road worthy and in good working order.
- Wash / Clean official motorbikes ensuring they are clean and parked in a secured area.
- Complete motorbike inspection checklists and promptly report any defects, faults or incidents that occur to the Transport Manager
- Provide administrative support to the transport desk as may be required
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Full valid Nigerian driving licence
- No previous traffic convictions
- A minimum of 2 years cognate despatch rider experience is required
- Good working knowledge of Abuja
- Basic Computer skills – Microsoft Office tools
- Must possess minimum of SSCE with 5 credits obtained in one sitting
- Must be able to write and speak English fluently
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- An ability to work unsupervised
- Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
- Drivers must work shifts rather than standard office hours. The nature of the job will require flexible working patterns. There is a requirement to work on a rotational basis sometimes in the evening and on weekends. Overtime will be paid for additional hours worked.
N138,237.69 / Month.
- Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
- Mandatory FCDO e-learning
- Access to FCDO e-learning opportunities and formal/informal learning and development opportunities at the British High Commission
Application Closing Date
1st June, 2021 .
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening. Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit
- The British High Commission does not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- Information about the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office Competency Framework can be found Here: Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.