The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Desktop Publisher
Reference Code: 10001087 / 003
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Over all Supervisor: Director of Conference Management and Publications
Immidiate Supervisor: Senior Publishing & Reproduction Officer
Overview & Organisation
- The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
- In seeking to achieve these objectives, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, among others, the implementation of new organization structure and the filling of regular and short-term vacant posts.
- The Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States for the regular post of Desktop Publisher in the Directorate of Conference Management and Publications, Printing Unit of the African Union Commission.
- Produce final page layouts of documents intended for electronic or printed publications. Typeset AU Publications and other materials in Arabic, English, French and Portuguese.
- Ensure that proof-read or amended drafts are corrected and final version produced in conformity to the AU standards.
- Find and edit graphics, such as photographs or illustrations as well as collate and check documents to ensure that all elements are included.
Under the overall supervision of the Director of Conference Management and Publications and direct supervision of the Senior Publishing & Reproduction Officer, the incumbent is required to perform the following tasks:
- Produce page layouts of documents for electronic or printed Publishing
- Execute typographical composition using different types of softwares (Adobe Creative Suite, Corel, Page maker and Quark XPress; etc…)
- Format and convert document from one type to another, prepare camera-ready / copy of AU Publications and non-publications jobs;
- Keep records of jobs completed on daily basis and passes to pre-press Supervisor for print processing;
- Ensure confidentiality of all documents where appropriate;
- Advice on quality-control in production of documents / publications;
- Operate and maintain clean Desktop Publishing equipment;
- Carry out any other duties that may be assigned by the overall / immidiate supervisor.
Qualification and Work Experience
- The incumbent must have a Diploma in Graphic Art, Graphic Design, Graphic Communications, Desktop Publishing, Graphic Multimedia
- Certificate on Adobe Creative Cloud Suite is an advantage.
Professional experience required:
- At least 2 years of experience in the field for diploma holders or 5 years experience in the field for holders of certificate in Desktop Publishing.
- Experience with publication practices in printing industry is desirable.
Other Relevant Competencies and Skills:
- Excellent computer literacy (Microsoft Office Suite, internet, desktop publishing and graphic software)
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Excellent technical and communication skills.
- Excellent drafting and reporting skills;
- Good knowledge of the workings of international organizations;
- Capacity to work under pressure and in a multicultural environment;
- Must be proactive in carrying out assigned duties
- Must have good time management abilities
- Expert judgment in approach to work and in selection of techniques/technologies and equipment;
- Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages is mandatory. Proficiency in two or more of the other working language(s) would be an advantage.
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve (12) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Least Represented Countries:
- Candidates from the following least represented countries within the AU are encouraged to apply: Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Rep. , Comoros, Congo, Congo (DRC), Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini , Ghana, Guinea, Libya, Liberia, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Mauritius, Namibia, Nigeria , Saharawi Arab D.R. , Seychelles, Somalia, South Africa and South Sudan. Candidates from the following least represented countries are encouraged to apply:
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 15,758.00 (GSA5 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 16,813.44 (per annum), education allowance 100% of tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$10,000.00 per child per annum), etc. for internationally recruited staff of the Commission and up to US$3,300 for locally recruited staff of the Commission.
Application Closing Date
9th November, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click Here to Start Application
To submit your application:
- Create an account via the link above (Click here to see instructional video)
- Fill out your personal information and the application form
Application Procedures and Notice
- Attach detailed and updated Curriculum Vitae / Resume including three (3) referees with good knowledge. Of candidate’s work, please, provide referees’ contact details – telephone and e-mail addresses.
- Copy of valid passport.
- Certified copies of educational qualifications – degrees, diplomas and certificates, where applicable (Not 4. More than 5 Documents in PDF Format, and not exceeding 1 MB).
- Please be aware that only complete applications will be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work experience, and language skills.
- Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening.
- Initial screening and evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted.
- Applications cannot be amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.