The Commonwealth is a voluntary association of 54 independent and equal countries. It is home to 2.4 billion people, and includes both advanced economies and developing countries. 32 of our members are small states, including many island nations.
Applications are invited for the position below:
JobTitle: Commonwealth Youth Peace Ambassadors Network (CYPAN) Coordinator
Duration: Twelve (12) months
Period: 1 November 2020 – 31 October 2021
Commonwealth Youth Peace Ambassadors Network (CYPAN)
- The Commonwealth Youth Peace Ambassadors Network (CYPAN) aims to bring together young people from across the Commonwealth to optimise grassroots, national, regional and pan-Commonwealth efforts that promote peace, respect & understanding and prevent violent extremism. These young people may range from community-level and policy-level peace advocates and creative. CYPAN aims at fostering collaboration between members and creates space for policy advocacy as it relates to peace.
- CYPAN was launched in November 2015 at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Malta where youth leaders from across the Commonwealth committed to the expansion of youth-led peace efforts across the various regions. The network was established with the support of the Youth Division of the Commonwealth Secretariat and in partnership with the Institute for Strategic Dialogue with funding from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- CYPAN is searching for their next Coordinator to lead its executive team for 2020 – 2021. We are inviting applications from young and suitably qualified individuals who are passionate about promoting and improving youth participation in peace building and preventing violent extremism across the Commonwealth, and an independent and reliable do-er who is able to manage and execute projects professionally. We searching for a candidate who is deep rooted nationally in civil society and who also has a strong mastery of Pan-Commonwealth and global conversation on Youth Peace and Security with over five (5) years of experience.
Key Deliverables & Responsibility:
- The main role of CYPAN Coordinator is to coordinate and spearhead the Commonwealth Youth Peace Ambassadors Network’ key operational functions.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Oversee the regular management of CYPAN and the logistical arrangements of the Network including supporting the Executive team and their initiatives in their region, convening regular calls or direct mentoring and support;
- Enhance Commonwealth youth participation in peacebuilding and countering violent extremism by co-ordinating their engagement and increased visibility in policy discussion and meetings at the Commonwealth and United Nations level;
- Strengthen the global advocacy and campaigns of the network, convening capacity building trainings for youth peace and security leaders on emerging priorities for youth-led action and advocacy across the Commonwealth, providing guidance to the Executive team to understand their roles and ensure they are regularly engaged;
- Support the mainstreaming of youth perspectives in the Commonwealth’s work on peace, security, the rule of law, and countering violent extremism, and working with the Commonwealth Secretariat as is necessary on these areas of work;
- Form, support, engage and manage a young, diverse and active Executive Committee;
- Support the strengthening of communication, partnerships and collaboration with the Commonwealth Secretariat, Commonwealth Youth Council (CYC), Commonwealth Youth Networks, and other stakeholders as directed;
- Increase visibility, outreach, inclusion and membership of CYPAN;
- Join and contribute to Commonwealth Youth Forum International Taskforce in delivering the policy agenda for the Commonwealth Youth Forum and CHOGM2021;
- Maintain frequent and consistent communication with the assigned staff(s) from the Commonwealth Secretariat managing the network, this includes ensuring regular updates of the network’s work and also sharing of opportunities and announcements to all members of the network.
- Be aged between 18 to 29 years at the time of application;
- Be a citizen of a Commonwealth member country;
- Have a strong commitment to CYPAN’s vision and mission;
- Have experience with youth-led initiatives, projects or organisations focused on peacebuilding, conflict prevention and preventing violent extremism;
- Be available to commit 18 hours per week to network activities.
- Possesses at least 5 years of experience working on youth development and peacebuilding related initiatives
Compulsory & Desirable Skills
- The candidate should possess excellent administrative and people skills, ability to coordinate/support meetings, write publications, policy papers, support research and thematic policy areas
Project Management & Implementation:
- The candidate should be able to commit the time required, at ~18 hours per week
- Possess project management/project delivery skills, support partnerships development, implementation track record, build stakeholders/network relationships & strategic planning
- Candidate should be able to demonstrate resourcefulness
- The candidate should be able to demonstrate his/her network in the relevant space
- The candidate should also to account and share for the skills to grow a community and network, beyond personal networks.
Compulsory Characteristic & Personality
- The candidate should demonstrate commitment and perseverance
Diversity and Inclusion:
- The candidate should be able to show interest and past experience working in diverse teams and on diversity and inclusion matters.
- The candidate should be able to show exemplary people management skills, be able to build relationships and be the liaison between the commonwealth Secretariat and the Executive team of the Network.
- The candidate should be organised, diplomatic and emotionally intelligent.
- The selected candidates will work remotely and will receive a monthly stipend.
- A nominal honorarium will be provided for this role
Application Closing Date
15th October, 2020 23:59 Hrs (BST).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Do note that the form will require you to upload documents but not limited to the following:
- A cover letter outlining your experience
- 2 reference letters from reputable and relevant referees
- Contact details to your references