University of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences – The journey of Imo State Polytechnic, Umuagwo towards becoming a University started from a humble beginning in 1979 by Imo State Edict No. 11 of 1979 that established it as a Monotechnic College of Agriculture, to provide courses of study, training, and research as well as the development of techniques and skills in all branches of Agriculture and Technology. In 2007 the institution was upgraded to a Polytechnic status through a law passed by the Imo state House of Assembly, Law No. 11 of 2007. In 2012, the Law was further amended by Imo State House of Assembly, Law No. 15 of 2012 that made the Polytechnic a multi-campus Institution.
Recently, the Polytechnic campus at Umuagwo was upgraded to the University of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences Umuagwo by the Law No. 4 2019, of the Imo State House of Assembly establishing the UAES. NUC recognized the University on the 18th April 2019 as the 49th State and 171st University in the Nigerian University System and the second Public University established and fully owned by the Imo State government. The mission of this University is to produce persons with capacity to contribute to the scientific transformation of Agriculture and the Environment in Nigeria and in accordance with the goals of sustainable development.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Vice Chancellor
- The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive and Chief Academic Officer of the University, Chairman of the Senate and member of the Governing Council.
Among his / her functions, the Vice Chancellor shall:
- Be competent always to advice the Council on any matter affecting the policy, finance and administration of the University.
- Be generally responsible to the Council for maintaining the efficiency and good order of the University and for ensuring the proper interpretation and enforcement of its statutes, ordinances and regulations
- Be responsible for the discipline in the University.
Qualities of the Candidate
The Applicant must:
- Be a Professor in a related discipline of not less than 10 years;
- Be with advanced knowledge of computer usage and Information Technology packages.
- Be a distinguished academic, top-notch researcher of national and international repute with a proven track record of scholarship in terms of a significant number of recognized peer-reviewed publications;
- Not have attained the age of 60 years at the time of assumption of duty;
- Demonstrate leadership qualities, training and preparation as a twenty-first century University administrator;
- Be capable of driving technological innovation in teaching, learning and research
- Be able to attract and manage research grants from both Local and International Agencies;
- Be an astute and a prudent manager of resources;
- Have a good understanding of the vision and mission of the University in its pursuit of academic excellence that is recognized globally;
- Be a person of strong character and ability to give courageous and effective leadership, as well as capable of inspiring the advancement of learning and reaching out to all persons without discrimination;
- Be of sound health and pleasant disposition, high integrity, strong moral character to inspire and maintain discipline among staff and students and not been convicted by a court of competent jurisdiction or by an Administrative Panel;
Conditions of Service
- The appointment will be for one term of five (5) years only, while salary and allowances shall be as applicable to the post of Vice-Chancellor in the Imo State University system and as may be determined by the Imo State Government from time to time.
Application Closing Date
26th October, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are advised to arrange all application documents (including application cover letters, CV, and copies of academic and professional certificates, etc) in one document and submit a single PDF file to: email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org In addition, ten (10) hard copies of applications, CV and credentials should be sent in one envelope marked with the position applied for, to:
University of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences,
Umuagwo, Imo State.
Also, interested applicants are required to submit fifteen (15) copies of their Curriculum Vitae, photocopies of certificates and other relevant credentials. The Curriculum Vitae shall contain among other things:
- Name in full (Surname first) in block letters
- Date and place of birth
- State of origin
- Permanent Home Address
- Present Contact Address
- Marital Status
- Number of Children with their ages
- Educational Institutions attended with dates and academic qualifications obtained
- Professional qualifications with dates
- Institutions and names of PhD students / Fellows supervised and dates graduated
- Honours, Distinctions and Membership of Learned Societies and Professional bodies
- Outstanding Publications, discoveries or inventions
- Working experience in the University system giving names of institutions and dates.
- Details of administrative, fund-attracted and managerial experience in the University System.
- Specific services to Local, National and International communities (with dates, institutions / establishment and status)
- Present employer, status and salary
- Extra-curricular activities
- Submit name and Address of three (3) Referees.
Attach Fifteen (15) copies of statement of their mission and vision for the University in the next five(5) years in not more than 1,500 words.
All applications should be submitted in sealed envelopes marked at the top left corner, ‘Application for the Post Applied for’ to:
Office of the Registrar,
University of Agriculture & Environmental Sciences Office of the Registrar,
P.M.B. 1472, Owerri,
- All applicants are advised to convert all their documents (including application cover letters, detailed CVs (containing email addresses, telephone numbers and Zoom Ids, among others) and copies of academic and professional certificates, among others) to PDF. All applicants are to save their PDF documents with their Names (first and surname) and position applied for (For example, Akingbade Babajide Vice Chancellor).
- All applicants are to provide valid e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of their referees. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted via their email addresses, telephone numbers, and / or Zoom Ids.