University of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences – The journey of Imo State Polytechnic, Umuagwo towards becoming a University started from a humble beginning in 1979 by Imo State Edict No. 11 of 1979 that established it as a Monotechnic College of Agriculture, to provide courses of study, training, and research as well as the development of techniques and skills in all branches of Agriculture and Technology. In 2007 the institution was upgraded to a Polytechnic status through a law passed by the Imo state House of Assembly, Law No. 11 of 2007. In 2012, the Law was further amended by Imo State House of Assembly, Law No. 15 of 2012 that made the Polytechnic a multi-campus Institution.
Recently, the Polytechnic campus at Umuagwo was upgraded to the University of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences Umuagwo by the Law No. 4 2019, of the Imo State House of Assembly establishing the UAES. NUC recognized the University on the 18th April 2019 as the 49th State and 171st University in the Nigerian University System and the second Public University established and fully owned by the Imo State government. The mission of this University is to produce persons with capacity to contribute to the scientific transformation of Agriculture and the Environment in Nigeria and in accordance with the goals of sustainable development.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: University Bursar
Duties of the Office
- The University Bursar is the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the University.
- He / she will be in charge of the three broad functions of a CFO namely: Financial Controls; Treasury Management including relationships with financial institutions and Financial Planning and Budgeting.
- He / she shall be responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the day-to-day administration of the financial affairs of the University.
Qualifications for the Post
- University Bursar, who is the Head of the Bursary Department, should have a Bachelor of Science Degree or its equivalent in Accountancy / Finance and possess relevant professional qualifications such as ACCA or ACA or ANAN or ACMA, etc plus a minimum of 15 years post qualification cognate experience in a University or equivalent institutions.
- The candidate should have at least (3) years’ experience at the level not below a Deputy Bursar in a University or headed Bursary of comparable Institution or a Financial Controller in a Corporate organization. Candidates who possess FCA, MBAor M.Sc. in relevant discipline will have obvious advantage
- Candidate(s) must be ICTproficient, must be of good health and have pleasant disposition.
- He / she must possess leadership qualities, people management skills, courageous in enforcing compliance with University Financial Regulations, dependable with unassailable integrity and have excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Similarly, candidates will be required to work long hours and quick in generating solutions to complex problems
- The Bursar shall be required to possess skills in financial reporting, treasury management, business planning and analysis, budgeting, forecasting and cost controls, tax planning / management and advanced knowledge of accounting software.
- In consonance with the UAES Law 2020, the appointment of University Bursar is for a single term of five  years respectively.
- Also note that the salary and other conditions of service shall be as approved for the applied position (Librarian) of State Universities and by the Governing Council of the UAES
Application Closing Date
26th October, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are advised to arrange all application documents (including application cover letters, CV, and copies of academic and professional certificates, etc) in one document and submit a single PDF file to: email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org In addition, ten (10) hard copies of applications, CV and credentials should be sent in one envelope marked with the position applied for, to:
University of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences,
Umuagwo, Imo State.
Also, interested applicants are required to submit fifteen (15) copies of their Curriculum Vitae, photocopies of certificates and other relevant credentials. The Curriculum Vitae shall contain among other things:
- Name in full (Surname first) in block letters
- Date and place of birth
- State of origin
- Permanent Home Address
- Present Contact Address
- Marital Status
- Number of Children with their ages
- Educational Institutions attended with dates and academic qualifications obtained
- Professional qualifications with dates
- Institutions and names of PhD students / Fellows supervised and dates graduated
- Honours, Distinctions and Membership of Learned Societies and Professional bodies
- Outstanding Publications, discoveries or inventions
- Working experience in the University system giving names of institutions and dates.
- Details of administrative, fund-attracted and managerial experience in the University System.
- Specific services to Local, National and International communities (with dates, institutions / establishment and status)
- Present employer, status and salary
- Extra-curricular activities
- Submit name and Address of three (3) Referees.
- Attach Fifteen (15) copies of statement of their mission and vision for the University in the next five(5) years in not more than 1,500 words.
All applications should be submitted in sealed envelopes marked at the top left corner, ‘Application for the Post Applied for’ to:
Office of the Registrar,
University of Agriculture & Environmental Sciences Office of the Registrar,
P.M.B. 1472, Owerri,
- All applicants are advised to convert all their documents (including application cover letters, detailed CVs (containing email addresses, telephone numbers and Zoom Ids, among others) and copies of academic and professional certificates, among others) to PDF. All applicants are to save their PDF documents with their Names (first and surname) and position applied for (For example, Akingbade Babajide University Bursar).
- All applicants are to provide valid e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of their referees. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted via their email addresses, telephone numbers, and / or Zoom Ids.