African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Division Manager – Transport & Logistics, PICU1
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50092441
The Vice Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization. The complex main functions are to:
- Strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development;
- Support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and
- Place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa. The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
The Hiring Department / Division:
- The role of the Infrastructure and Urban Development Directorate is to foster advancement of infrastructure and urban development in Africa.
- The Department provides assistance to the Bank Regional Member Countries (RMCs) in the form of sovereign and non-sovereign loans and grants to finance transport infrastructure and urban development projects and programs.
- The Department also undertakes analytical and advisory activities to underpin lending programs and support policy dialogue with RMCs to formulate and implement infrastructure and urban development sector reforms ensuring that best practices are mainstreamed in policy, planning, programming, institutional governance, and maintenance and operation.
- Under the supervision of the Director, the Manager, Transport and Logistics Division will coordinate / lead the operationalization and implementation of the Bank business plan in developing sustainable transportation and logistics systems in Africa.
- S / he will lead task teams to deliver major investment and Analytical and Advisory Activities (AAA), provide critical inputs to the development policy lending operations, and develop new business opportunities in the sector.
Duties and Responsibilities
Transport & Logistics Strategy / Business Plan:
- Devise, maintain and revise the Transport & Logistics Business Plan of the Bank in consultation with internal stakeholders and taking account of long-term trends in Transport & Logistics and the development of the continent;
- Ensure the appropriate implementation of the Business Plan through communication and advise to all relevant stakeholders in the Bank, particularly operations functions, and define a monitoring framework;
- Identify and develop any necessary policies to underpin the Business Plan;
- Consult as necessary with external partners and Regional and non-Regional Member Countries on the form and efficacy of the Business Plan.
Transport & Logistics Knowledge:
- Manage a team to develop and maintain the Bank’s expertise on Transport & Logistics to support the development goals of the Bank and the continent;
- Devise the Bank’s contribution to key Transport & Logistics development themes such as regional connectivity, rural accessibility, sustainable and affordable transport, road safety, infrastructure finance, third party logistics and freight transport, transport decarbonization and climate change, etc.
- Coordinate and work alongside key partners, such as other Multilateral Development Banks(MDBs) and the World Economic Forum to design Transport & Logistics -based programs and solutions for the economic and social infrastructure development of Africa;
- Coordinate the publication of major studies and reports on Transport & Logistics for development, taking into account the comparative advantage that the Bank can bring to bear to any specific subject or theme. Convene associated workshops and media events to solidify the learning across Africa;|
- Develop and maintain, in collaboration with partners, a detailed database of statistics and economic models relating to Transport & Logistics, both African and global in nature, to support proper analysis of the impact of the sector for development and the relative state of Transport & Logistics in Africa;
- Represent the Bank at global, regional and national conferences and workshops on Transport & Logistics;
Transport & Logistics Projects and Programs:
- Act as a focal point for advice to Regional Member Countries on Transport & Logistics issues;
- Provide cutting edge advice on Transport & Logistics infrastructure investments to foster public and private partnerships and the use of all the Bank’s financing instruments;
- Coordinate the development of Technical Assistance programs to provide cutting edge advice on Transport and Logistics development, private sector participation, and infrastructure concessions;
- Coordinate the origination and financial structuring of complex Transport and Logistics projects in Ports, Railways, Aviation and Highways in regional member countries in collaboration and with the support of operations staff based in the regions and ensuring the optimum use of all the Bank’s resources and financing instruments;
- Provide direct support to Transport & Logistics operations staff in the field, particularly in order to improve the impact and the financial and economic analysis of projects;
- Manage a small, specialist team of Transport & Logistics experts to meet demanding Key Performance Indicators(KPIs);
- Develop and safeguard the Bank’s brand as a source of Transport & Logistics knowledge for Africa by detailing the quality of output expected from the division and ensuring that it is attained;
- Manage the administrative budget for the division;
- Mobilize resources from donors to support the work of the division.
- Advise operational staff on Transport & Logistics trends and the consequences they have for future project development and design;
- Identify appropriate Transport & Logistics training for internal and external stakeholders.
- At least a Master’s degree or equivalent in, Civil Engineering, Transport Engineering, Transport Planning, Transport Logistics or related discipline and a sound knowledge of development issues in Africa;
- At least eight (8) years of experience at increasingly senior levels in transport sector with proven ability to work on highways, railways, aviation, maritime and logistics subsectors, and in Multilateral Financing Institutions;
- Demonstrated and strong track record in identification, preparation, appraisal, and supervision of public sector Transport & Logistics projects in development finance institutions;
- Thorough Knowledge and Experience in Development and understanding of policymaking process; project and program design, execution, monitoring and evaluation;
- Ability to identify and assess critical policy issues and actively dialogue with governments and/or other stakeholders to develop solutions;
- Strong ability to lead analytical and advisory activities including economic and sector work, technical assistance and training and dissemination of best practice with client countries;
- Effective consultation and advisory skills;
- Ability to lead a team of specialists and to take forward projects, often in collaboration with other partners;
- Attention to detail to create high quality output and to set standards for the team;
- Strong ability to plan and manage budgets, mentor staff to develop skills and improve the quality of output and outcomes;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other;
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) and preferably SAP.
Application Closing Date
7th October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and / or a screenshot showing the problem to HR Direct via: HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB Member Countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.