African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Gender Officer, AHGC1
Reference: ADB / 20 / 141
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Position N°: 50083097
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy High 5s priorities of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”
The complex objectives are:
- To develop, policy and strategy;
- Provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions;
- Develop new financing instruments; and
- Represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
The Hiring Department / Division:
- The Gender, Women and Civil Society Department is designed to improve coherence and coordination across complexes on Gender and Civil Society Organization issues
- The Department ensures strategic priorities are reflected in resources allocation, enhance monitoring and management of performance, and strengthens the focus on results
- As part of the Gender, Women and Civil Society Directorate, the Gender and Women Empowerment Division provides leadership on mainstreaming Gender in operations.
- The Chief Gender Officer is based in the Regional Office and leads the Department’s strategic and operational support to mainstream gender and women empowerment in Bank operations in the Regional Office
- Gender mainstreaming in operations is crucial for achieving the goals of the gender strategy and closing the gender gaps in the Regional Member Countries (RMCs).
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Division Manager of Gender and Women Empowerment, the responsibilities of the Chief Gender Officer – include, but are not limited to the following:
Coordination and Guidance:
- Coordinate the gender activities in the Regional Office internally and externally;
- Provide operational gender guidance to the Regional Office to ensure quality at entry, implementation and exit as well as compliance with Bank’s policies and procedures as well as regional portfolio objectives;
- Liaise with other Gender Officers to share best practice and harmonize operational gender procedures where relevant.
Development of Key Documents:
- Advise and develop gender policies, plans of action, strategies, guidelines and any other relevant documents, particularly with regards to country programming and operations and especially regarding the mainstreaming gender in Bank Group operations;
- Coordinate the development of relevant documents for Board approval (such as policy, plan of action, strategy and gender guidelines);
- Initiate, conduct and lead policy dialogue with RMCs and key regional stakeholders on gender issues in Bank Group operations;
- Develop and review Terms of Reference (ToRs) for studies on gender to provide support to Task Managers;
- Integrate gender considerations in all Bank Group programs and operations;
Integration and Capacity Building:
- Produce and disseminate technical knowledge and practical tools on gender by leveraging best practices from sister Multilateral Development Banks, and other international organizations such as the UN Women, ECA, UNDP, etc.;
- Develop training materials and organize training programs for Bank staff and Regional Member Countries’ (RMCs) officials on gender;
- Organise capacity building and institutional strengthening in Regional Member Countries (RMCs) through workshops, seminars, conferences, field missions and internal, interdepartmental and loans committee meetings
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation missions and recommend mitigating measures;
- Monitor progress achieved in relation to integrating gender factors into Bank Group operations;
- Report on the achievement of gender equality of the Bank and the Regional Office and the progress made by the borrowers on the implementation of gender-appropriate measures.
- Organize and coordinate events and/or communications activities related to gender equality in the region such as workshops, seminars, conferences, trainings;
- Represent the Bank at any relevant gender seminars and conferences when required;
- Liaise with Civil Society Organisations, multilateral, international, regional and any other relevant institutions for joint activities in the area of gender.
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Gender, Finance, Business Administration, Economics, Public Policy or a related discipline and be Professionally Certified in the relevant profession or field of study.
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years of professional experience in the formulation and implementation of policies, programs and projects either within the Bank or with a similar development institution.
- Experience in Gender analysis, research and advocacy skills, conducting gender impact assessments and/or designing/implementing gender and development
- Demonstrate experience in portfolio management within a multilateral financial institution.
- Experience in the preparation and/or review of strategies/operations in a multilateral institution.
- Knowledge and experience with African Development Bank operations or similar institutions or organizations.
- Ability to provide clear and concise oral and written communication; present oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapt language and style to suit the requirements of a particular audience.
- A good listener with cultural sensitivity, commitment to diversity and capacity to initiate and manage change.
- Experience working in a team in a multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary, international and professional environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to present and win support for ideas.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); Experience in the use of SAP is advantageous.
Application Closing Date
31st October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online