World Bank Group – IFC, a sister organization of the World Bank and member of the World Bank Group – is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2019, we invested more than $19 billion in private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity.
We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
1) Job Title: Associate Investment Officer
Job #: req7653
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Required Language(s): English
- The Financial Institutions Group (FIG), one of IFC’s industry departments, supports projects in numerous financial sub sectors, partners with local financial institutions, develops domestic and regional equity and debt markets and introduces new financing instruments. The goal is to develop efficient financial systems that will increase financial inclusion and fuel economic growth in client countries and enhance IFC’s developmental impact.
- FIG is recruiting an Associate Investment Officer to join the Investment Team, which originates, manages and monitors IFC’s financial sector investments across Africa. The Associate Investment Officer will report to the FIG Regional Industry Manager covering West and Central Africa (WCA).
- The position will be based in Lagos, Nigeria.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Provide key support in identification, appraisal, structuring and negotiation of financial sector investments.
- Identify and analyze fundamental competitive strengths and weaknesses of projects or portfolio companies and identify non-financial issues, opportunities and risk/reward factors (e.g. business environment, country, and sponsor).
- Handle disbursements, waivers and complex client interactions such as restructurings; monitor and value equity investments and recommends/executes the sale of holdings.
- Monitor existing investments in portfolio companies, comprising various types of financial entities.
- Review and analyze the financial and operating performance of clients; prepare quarterly risk ratings, annual supervision and other management reports as well as country strategy papers, briefs and project profiles.
- Handle client relationships and provide insight into sector developments in client countries to anticipate new investment opportunities and/or performance issues.
- Apply knowledge of project/portfolio lifecycle to identify and meet critical path milestones, and to implement tasks (including production of documents) in a timely and high-quality fashion for the processing or supervision of projects.
- Actively keep abreast of regional and industry developments and incorporates trends into the processing or supervision of projects.
- Master’s degree in related field
- At least 4-6 years of relevant experience in the financial sector, preferably in an investment related function and/or the private equity industry.
- Good understanding of financial and operational characteristics of financial institutions.
- Clear experience and expertise in identifying, evaluating, structuring and negotiating debt and equity transactions; experience in portfolio management.
- Sound business judgment and strong problem solving/negotiation skills, as well as ability to work effectively on simultaneous projects under time pressure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- A keen interest in development finance and working in a multicultural environment.
Application Closing Date
11:59pm UTC; 17th June, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
2) Title: Young Professional Program (WBG YPP)
- The WBG YPP is a starting point for an exciting career at the World Bank Group. Young Professionals are recruited from around the world with various academic and professional backgrounds relevant to the World Bank, IFC and MIGA.
- We are looking for applicants who demonstrate a passion for international development, graduate education, relevant professional experience, and the potential to grow into impactful leadership roles across our institutions.
Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) Update:
- The World Bank Group is closely monitoring COVID-19 developments. The safety of our current and prospective staff is our highest priority. As of now, YPP recruitment processes will continue as usual and will be modified to virtual platforms as needed. Candidates will receive related updates as the process moves along.
- World Bank and IFC will merge their respective Young Professionals Programs into one World Bank Group Young Professionals Program (WBG YPP).
- The new program is now accepting applications on behalf of three institutions (the World Bank, IFC and MIGA). Building on the rich legacy of its predecessor programs, the WBG YPP will recruit and develop future leaders to collaborate effectively across our institutions on joint WBG solutions to development challenges.
- We welcome all qualified individuals from diverse professional, academic, and cultural backgrounds to apply. Sub-Saharan African nationals, Caribbean nationals, women and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The WBG YPP is a unique opportunity for young professionals who have both a passion for international development/finance and the potential to grow into impactful leadership roles across the World Bank Group.
- The program is designed for highly qualified and motivated individuals who hold a graduate degree and are skilled in areas relevant to public and private sector development operations. These areas include economics, finance and political risk insurance in emerging markets, education, health, social sciences, infrastructure development, engineering, urban planning, agriculture, natural resource management and others.
- Born on or after October 1, 1988
- Master’s or doctoral degree*
- Specialization in a field relevant to YPP Business Areas
- Relevant professional experience or continued study at the doctoral level**
- Fluency in English
- The Banks Group recruitment policy is to hire staff of the highest caliber, on as wide a geographical basis as possible, with preference to nationals of WBG member countries or countries of operations.
*Graduate degree requirements vary by institution:
- For WB placement: Complete a relevant graduate degree by June 30, 2020 or a PhD before September 2021.
- For IFC & MIGA placement: Complete a relevant graduate degree (ex: Master of Business Administration, Economics, International Relations, Science, and Engineering) before September 2021.
**Professional experience requirements vary by institution:
- For WB placement: Demonstrate 3+ years of relevant experience, or the equivalent in continued study at the doctoral level.
- For IFC & MIGA placement: Demonstrate 4+ years of relevant experience in finance, political risk insurance and credit enhancement, project/program development, economic development and/or consulting. Certifications such as the CFA are a plus.
To be competitive, applicants should additionally:
- Display a commitment and passion for international development
- Possess outstanding academic credentials
- Exhibit excellent client engagement and team leadership skills
The following attributes are a plus:
- Work experience in emerging markets or developing countries
- Full proficiency in one of the following official WBG languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
- The WBG YPP is a two-year leadership development program at the start of a five-year employment contract with the World Bank, IFC or MIGA. As part of the two-year curriculum, YPs undertake rotational assignments within their host organization, another WBG institution and/or a field office, where they gain valuable hands-on experience in different areas of our business. WBG YPs make significant contributions to their host unit’s work program, while building networks and knowledge of our policies and operations –on the job and in the classroom.
- Young Professionals are likely to join colleagues on business trips to the field, also called ‘missions.’ These missions allow YPs to work on the frontlines of global development, learning key aspects of our work while directly engaging with clients in developing countries. In addition, as part of the WBG YPP curriculum, YPs are encouraged to take rotations in the field.
- The WBG YPP curriculum has been designed to ensure that YPs develop a WBG mindset, the foundational knowledge to understand and contribute to our business and the competencies required for leadership development: collaboration, team-building, integrative thinking, innovation, and continuous learning.
- The curriculum includes a blend of learning activities, in cohort, small group and individual settings, both online and in-person. Activities range from leadership training and career development workshops to networking, mentorship and conversations with WBG leadership.
Coaching and Mentoring:
- Peer Buddy: Before joining the World Bank Group, Young Professionals are assigned a buddy from a previous cohort, based on common professional interests and/or cultural background. Peer buddies help new YPs settle into the organization and the Washington, DC area, and provide guidance on expectations and challenges of the YP program.
- Technical Buddy: YPs are also assigned to an experienced colleague in their unit, who acts as a “go-to person” for technical questions in their respective fields.
- WBG Mentor: Once settled into their jobs, Young Professionals can be paired with a more senior colleague or expert, who can mentor them on topics such as career options, rotation opportunities, and the overall organizational culture.
- The WBG YPP Office: WBG YPP staff are dedicated to recruiting and integrating Young Professionals into the World Bank Group. The team coordinates learning activities, meetings and events designed to support YPs, such as mentorship assignments, networking events and career strategy meetings, among others. The program office is a one-stop shop for Young Professionals looking for support and guidance.
Compensation and Benefits
- YPs are offered a competitive salary and benefits package as part of a 5-year term contract.
- Benefits include health, life and accident insurance, a pension plan and possible relocation and mobility benefits depending on WBG guidelines.
Application Closing Date
30th June, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online