Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
1) Job Title: Surgeon
Location: Pulka & Gwoza, Gwoza LGA, Borno
Report to: Medical Activity Manager
Report to (functional): Medical Activity Manger
Area: Medical & Paramedical
Working Hours:48 per week
Contract Duration: Six Months Renewable
Slot: Two (02)
- Organize and carry out surgery activities, ensure pre and post-operative surgical care, in accordance with MSF policies, protocols and universal hygiene standards and in close collaboration with medical staff in the emergency, intensive wards and operation theatre in order to improve patients’ health conditions.
- Coordinates the implementation of MSF clinical policies, tools, guidelines and protocols ( antibiotic prophylaxis, post-operative pain management, thrombo-prophylaxis, caesarean section, blood transfusion, etc) and recommendations (standard hygiene and sterilization rules, prevention to HIV, TB, Syphilis and Hep B exposure) in order to minimize clinical risks.
- Undertake pre-operative consultations, evaluating the surgical risks with the anaesthetist and/or other medical staff involved, and obtaining the patient’s signed consent to operate.
- Carry out emergency and programmed surgical intervention following MSF protocols and policies including swab counts, ensuring appropriate use of surgical equipment and proper OT registry entry/documentation of all OT intervention.
- Carry out post-operative clinical care and ward rounds collaborating with the anesthetist, the Operating Theatre Nurse and ward staff or other Unit Managers to ensure compliance with MSF protocols and rational use of medicines. Attend OPD, emergency room when required.
- In collaboration with the anaesthetist, carry-out the collection and analysis of quantitative surgical- anaesthesia data, using post-operative observation sheets, routine data collected, patient files, operating department register, patient file, etc to monitor quality. Monthly revue data and analyze clinical trends and comment on adverse events / poor clinical outcome. Support organizing the operating program and with OT staff monitor use of material and equipment and advise on instrument needs and coordinates patient referral.,
- Put in place the emergency disaster response plan of the hospital along with the anesthetist and the medical doctor and /or the responsible nurse and run role hospital practical rehearsals, in order to ensure the continuity of the services under any circumstance
- Knows and helps implement the accidental blood exposure policy.
- Plan, evaluate, and supervise the training of the staff (emergency and the out-patient teams) in order to ensure
- the amount of knowledge required and to improve people diagnosing, triage, and early detection capabilities.
- Supports other medical teams/wards when needed (i.e. midwifes and obstetric teams in the maternity ward, etc.).
- Essential, degree in Surgical Specialty recognized by the State.
- Surgical experience as stated in surgical CV/skill form (number of independently performed surgical interventions) corresponds with the surgeries that are performed in the mission and qualification is duly certified and verified. Desirable experience with MSF or other NGO’s in developing countries.
- Essential, English and Hausa; Kanuri and Mandra would be an asset.
- Computer literacy essential.
- People Management, Commitment, Flexibility, Results, Teamwork.
Application Closing Date
1700 hours; 12th June, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants should send their updated CV, Motivation Letter, copies of Credentials, copy of NYSC Certificate and copy of current Medical Licence and (only PDF or Word) either by email to: email@example.com (in the subject please to put the position and the reference for while you are applying).
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
- Applications are non-returnable. Do not submit original certificates or credentials.
- MSF Encourages Women and People with Disability Status to Apply.
2) Job Title: Medical Activity Manager
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
Job Type: Permanent position (Subject to the probationary period)
Accountabilities / Responsibilities:
- Provides full support for all aspects of the SGBV project of MSF in Port Harcourt, Nigeria, and actively promotes the project mission amongst all clinic staff Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, and assisting during consultations, daily rounds and other medical procedures. Participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
- Collaborates with PC, MHAM, Nurse counsellors, supervisor and others to define strategic priorities for the clinic staff and the SGBV program.
- Coordinate, assess and supervise the proper functioning of the activities in the clinic (medical, counselling, psychological, social…), according to MSF protocols and procedures.
- Ensure good communication and collaboration with the other PHC SGBV project members (admin, logistic) and other partners (NGO, social welfare …) working on patient support
- Checks that all administrative procedures related to patients’ follow-up (patient file, medical certificate, registers, follow-up card, discharge, referral letters …) are correctly carried out according to MSF procedures.
- Validate data into the MSF defined database, correct and analyse all the data related to the activities from the clinics. Generate any daily, weekly or monthly reports as required.
- Coordinate and monitor the daily working plan of the team under her/his responsibility (absent personnel, vacations, tracking leaves, etc. Prepares monthly work schedules for all staff.
- Conduct and manage daily case reviews with staff and weekly general team meeting.
- Ensures that the team follows confidentiality format all times especially with authorities and when referring a patient to other actors. Regularly check on patient files and archives systematically.
- Ensure that Medical Certificates are correctly drafted by the MD and given to the patient following MSF legal frame.
- Support the pharmacy storekeeper to manage MSF field pharmacy and medical equipment in an efficient way.
- Perform the international order in collaboration with the country pharmacist.
- Participate in medical meetings and collegial cases reviews as needed.
- Collaborate with Mental Health Activity Manager and ensure activities are according to planned strategies and support in place.
- Follows up admitted survivors liaises with the hospital management to determine that quality care is provided.
- Assess expat/national staff health on the field, informing the Medco about eventual acute medical problems, accidents etc.
- Supports the social worker in his/her daily tasks.
- In collaboration with the Medical Coordinator and MoH partners, defines, implements and monitors medical activities, according to MSF project plans, standards and protocols.
- Participates in exploratory missions, situation assessments (defining medical operational priorities when needed) and the development of the project policy, annual plan, budget review and project proposal and reports to donors. Ensures regular contact with MoH and other local medical actors.
- Plans and supervises, in close coordination with the PC and the Admin, the associated processes (recruitment, training, induction, performance evaluation, development and internal/external communication) of the medical staff of the project in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required and improve staff capabilities.
Required Skills and Conditions
- Education: Medical Doctor. Desirable specialization or training in Tropical Medicine or related studies
- Experience: Essential 2 year working experience related to the diploma/degree and previous experience in MSF in the field
- Languages: Essential mission language; English local language desirable
- Knowledge: Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Competencies: Strategic Vision, Leadership, People Management and Development, Service Orientation, and Teamwork and Cooperation.
Gross Salary Per Month
- N572,302 (Five hundred and seventy two thousand three hundred and two Naira)
Application Closing Date
5th June, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants should submit their Cover Letter, CV, Qualifications and contact details to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “MAM” as the subject of the mail.
- Only successful applicants will be called for written test and interview.
- NON-compliant or Late applications will not be considered.
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favours in kind, nor other types of favouritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process.
- MSF reserves the right to refuse to hire of a candidate having benefitted from such acts. All illicit demands of these types may be pursued through the judicial system.