The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve
Contract: National (2-year renewable contract)
Application Start Date: 2020-03-02
Job Type: Fixed term – Renewable
Successful candidates will
- Assist plantain/banana breeders in planning and implementing laboratory and field research activities for the breeding programme and manage the breeding database;
- Supervise field/laboratory research activities across plantain breeding and trial sites, breeding operations including field preparation and layout, field management, pollinations, and data collection;
Be responsible for updatingand maintaining trial records and pedigree records on banana breeding database (MUSABASE) and backstop plantain breeding staff on digital data entry and use of applicable software; and liaise with the banana breeding team in East Africa Assist in designingexperiments, collating data, running statistical analysis (ANOVAS for comparing genotype performance for singlelocation and multi-environment trials), conduct literaturesearch and prepare good quality reports;
- Supervise germplasm multiplication and distribution activities for the programme; Keep track of hybrids being used worldwide and organise feed
- Plan and ensure procurement of supplies for laboratory, field, and screen house activities, oversee hiring and supervision of casual labour for various operations while maintaining strict control of budget expenditures;
- Supervise junior staff and assist in annual performance appraisals;
- Assist graduate students on their research projects and trainees/interns as required;
- Assist the IITA plantain breeder with reporting to donors;
- Perform all other related duties
that may be assigned by the supervisor.
- M.Sc in Plant Breeding, Crop Production, Agronomy, or related discipline with a strong background in genetics, computer science/data management and/or statistics and proven skills in reporting.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience performing similar functions or related roles in an agricultural research organization or equivalent experience is desired.
The ideal candidate must:
- Possess excellent computer skills in MS-Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and strong knowledge in experimental design and use of statistical analysis packages;
- Have excellent writing and oral communication skills in English.
- Be well organized and work effectively in a team, able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, implement protocols, troubleshoot and train subordinates.
- *Experience in database management and use of statistical analysis software (particularly R) would be considered as an advantage.
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (3-year renewable contract)
Contract: 3-year renewable contract
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Prepare and review of financial statements;
- Check, process and report on returns and justification of funds granted to IITA;
- Raise journal for adjustments where necessary on various accounts and loading same on oracle;
- Attend to queries raised by Budget Officers on projects; Assist in checking of Cashiers’ cash balance as scheduled; Update, review and reconcile bills receivables from donors with the total grant income of projects;
- Prepare station imprest on regular basis;
- Develop, maintain and analyze budget;
- Prepare periodic accounting report;
- Contribute to team efforts by accomplishing related result as needed;
- Perform all other related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- B.Sc/HND in Accounting or Business Management, ICAN skill levelwould be an added advantage
- The ideal candidate must have a minimum of three (3) years related experience in a related role of a large organization.
The ideal candidate must:
- Be honest, trustworthy and hard working
- Be friendly and be a team player.
- Be able to read and interpret MOUs from donor.
- Be willing to work for long hours as the need arises, articulate and able to work with less supervision.
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
16th December, 2019.
Contract type: IRS Contract
- Genomic resources have opened up new opportunities associated with predictive breeding including genome-wide selection schemes in plant breeding pipelines. However, acquisition of high-throughput phenomics data is a rate-limiting step in the quest to increase breeding efficiency and accelerate genetic gain. Additionally, high throughput phenomics is needed for basic research in cassava physiology including use of products of transgenics and gene editing.
- A major goal of this position is to develop automated and semi-automated methods for lab and field based high-throughput phenotyping to permit precise quantitative analysis of plant growth rates, structure and function; and genetic dissection of complex traits. T
- he high-throughput phenotyping work will involve using remote sensing technology tools including UAVs with numerous sensors to automatically collect quantitative data on plant variability.
- This person will also manage confined trials under confined field trial conditions for the purpose of phenotype novel genetic resources for physiological characteristics related to photosynthesis and crop metabolism.
- Use red/green/blue (RGB) and multi/hyperspectral imaging to carry out routine assessment of plant development under stress and non-stress environments including: – Emergence count, canopy height and cover fraction – Crop health indices (green area index, temperature and fluorescence)
- Develop image processing and analytics methods for cassava field trials including use of threedimensional reconstructions (Orthomosaic models).
- Work with breeders and molecular geneticists to combine remote sensing, physiological and agronomic traits to develop models for predicting genotype performance under different environmental conditions.
- Coordinate precise sampling of plant tissues (leaf, stem and roots) in the field as well as under confined field trials for biochemistry analysis to understand underlying genetic variation between breeding varieties.
- Participate in execution of experiments under confined field trials.
- Conduct capacity building activities related in the area of high-throughput phenotyping using remote sensing approaches by training PhD and master students.
- Responsible for including all experimental metadata and trial data in the project database.
- Responsible for preparation of project technical and financial reports as required by the project timetable.
- Preparation of publications in collaboration with other project scientists.
- Supervision of staff and students.
- Contribute to resource mobilization.
- Other responsibilities as requested by your supervisor.
- The candidate should possess a PhD in Plant Physiology, Agronomy, remote sensing or other relevant fields from a highly recognized university.
- Sound technical knowledge in high-throughput phenotyping using remote-sensing tools such as UAVs.
- Strong knowledge of plant physiology and physiological processes of cassava.
- Competence in statistical analysis programming language R.
- Ability to satisfy all regulatory and management requirements for running confined field trials in Nigeria.
- Experience with database management.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment.
- The initial appointment is for three years.
- IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
31st December, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should complete the online application below. Applications must include Covering Letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, Curriculum Vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).The application should be addressed to the “Head of Human Resources”
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.